The Respect Life Office of the Diocese of Rockville Centre is urging Catholics to make their voices heard before pending legislation in New York State further diminishes the rights of the unborn.
April 1 is the critical date; we must do everything we can before that date, according to Allison O’Brien, director of the Respect Life Office.
On January 16, 2018, Governor Cuomo introduced his budget bill, S.7511. In the bill, he included an abortion expansion proposal. If the budget passes, virtually all limitations on abortion will be lifted. This is particularly dangerous, because the law requires a budget to be passed by April 1.
• The bill would remove our current law’s limit and allow abortions after 24 weeks. Studies show that a fetus experiences pain at 20 weeks.
• 5-10% of babies are born alive after a late-term abortion procedure, and those infants are currently protected. This bill would eliminate the law that requires that a baby born alive after an abortion be given adequate health care.
• This bill would permit non-doctors to do abortions – the State government could grant a license to perform abortions to anyone.
• The bill would eliminate all criminal penalties for abortions – so even if an abortion was against a mother’s will (involuntary or coerced), or if an unborn child is deliberately targeted for an act of violence, it could not be prosecuted.
What can we do about this?
The Action Center of the New York State Catholic Conference has made it very easy to oppose this proposal through their website.
1. Go to: http://www.nyscatholic.org/nys-catholic-conference-action-center/
2. Look for the action that says “Oppose Abortion Expansion in State Budget!”
3. Enter your information
4. Select “Send Message”
Finally, if you or anyone you know is struggling with a pregnancy, the Diocese of Rockville Centre is here to provide support: Call 1-855-301-4CHS, or visit http://www.chsli.org/pregnancy-support-services. For healing after abortion, call 1-888-456-4673