Photo: Pope Francis listens as Italian Cardinal Lorenzo Baldisseri, general secretary of the Synod of Bishops, left, speaks during a session of the extraordinary Synod of Bishops on the family at the Vatican last October. (CNS photo/Paul Haring)
Last October an Extraordinary Synod of Bishops on The Pastoral Challenges of the Family in the Context of Evangelization was held. The final document from this synod is the preparatory document or “Lineamenta” for next fall’s Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, October 4-25, 2015.
Contained within this document is a series of questions. As is customary in the synod process, the General Secretary of the Synod of Bishops has invited consultation on these questions to help with the preparation for the upcoming meeting.
Bishop Murphy is welcoming responses to these questions from the faithful of the Diocese of Rockville Centre. The questions to address may be found on the Vatican website: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/synod/documents/rc_synod_doc_20141209_lineamenta-xiv-assembly_en.html.
You are invited to read the entire document before responding. If you wish to respond to any or all of the questions, please be mindful of the following guidelines:
1. Only e-mail responses sent to firstname.lastname@example.org will be accepted.
2. Only e-mail responses that include the respondent’s name and parish will be accepted.
3. Responses will be accepted in the languages the Lineamenta is available in from the Vatican: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German and Portuguese.
4. Faxes, mailed, printed or handwritten documents will not be accepted.
5. When responding, specific reference must be given to the question number. So, for instance, if one is responding to question 3 in the Preparatory Document, that fact should be clearly indicated in the response.
6. All responses must be received by March 13, 2015.