Sister Kathleen Doherty, BVM
(formerly Sister Patrick Louis)
In the Diocese of Rockville Centre, Sister Kathleen taught at Our Lady of Loretto Elementary Sschool in Hempstead. She taught elementary and secondary school in Sioux City, Iowa, and Chicago, where she also served as parish secretary and adult education teacher, and was alumnae coordinator/treasurer.
She was born in Waterloo, Iowa, Aug. 24, 1922, to Patrick Brown and Mary (Salz) Doherty. She entered the BVM congregation Sept. 8, 1945, from St. Joseph Parish, Waterloo. She professed first vows on March 19, 1948, and final vows on Aug. 15, 1953.
She was preceded in death by her parents. She is survived by cousins and the Sisters of Charity, BVM, with whom she shared life for 71 years.
Sister Mary McGowan, S.C.
(formerly Sister Christopher Marie)
Sister Mary McGowan, S.C. (formerly Sister Christopher Marie), a Sister of Charity-Halifax for 64 years, died on January 27, 2017 at Mount Saint Vincent, Wellesley Hills, Mass. at the age of 86. Sister Mary is survived by her brother, Gerard. Sister Mary McGowan ministered at Saint Aidan School, Williston Park, from 1952-62 as a teacher in Grades 2,5, and 8. She also taught Grade 10 at Seton Hall High School, Patchogue from 1962-64.
She served as the Provincial Superior of the Sisters of Charity from 1970-78 while residing at the Provincial Residence in Brooklyn and Jamaica, NY. Sister Mary was also missioned in Brooklyn, Riverton, NJ, and Hyattsville, Maryland. Sister Mary McGowan moved to Mount Saint Vincent, Wellesley Hills, in October 2016 where she resided until her death.
Sister Mary McGowan’s Funeral Mass took place on Monday, January 30th in the Mount St. Vincent, Wellesley Chapel. Sister Catherine was buried in Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Needham, Mass.
Sister Ann Helen Seguljic, IHM
(formerly Sister M. St. Ignatius)
Sister Ann Helen Seguljic, IHM, (formerly Sister M. St. Ignatius) of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary died on Saturday, January 21, 2017, at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She was born on January 4, 1931, in Brooklyn. She was the daughter of the late John and Kate Jurjevich Seguljic. She entered the IHM Congregation on September 8, 1955, and made her temporary profession of vows on March 13, 1958, and her final profession of vows on June 22, 1963.
Sister Ann served locally at St. Mary’s High School in Manhasset from 1966 to 1967 and 1979 to 1992 and as a teacher at the following schools: All Saints High School in Brooklyn (1953 to 1955); Holy Rosary Elementary School in Scranton, PA, (958); St. Joseph’s High School in Williamsport, PA, (1958 to 1966); Marywood Seminary High School in Scranton (1967 to 1969); St. Mark’s High School in Wilmington, DE, (1969 to 1979); Holy Cross High School in Delran, NJ, (1994 to 2002); and Notre Dame High School in Lawrenceville, NJ,(2002 to 2007).
Sister also served as an assistant in the IHM Communications Office at the IHM Center in Scranton, PA, from 1992 to 1994.
From 2009 until the time of her death, Sister Ann Helen served as a prayer minister at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics/education from St. Joseph College and a Master of Arts degree in mathematics from St. John’s University.
She was preceded in death by three brothers, John J., Dr. Nicholas, and Joseph.
She is survived by a sister-in-law, Virginia Seguljic of Brooklyn, NY; a sister-in-law, Joan Seguljic of Bristol, CT; nieces and nephews; and the members of the IHM Congregation.
Interment was in St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, PA.
Sister Eileen Schulenburg, S.C.
(formerly Sister Catherine Arthur)
Sister Eileen Schulenburg, S.C. (formerly Sister Catherine Arthur) died suddenly on January 20, 2017 at her convent in Richmond Hill, NY at the age of 75. Sister Eileen was born in Ozone Park, NY and then moved to Mineola at the age of eight. She attended St. Aidan School there where she met the Sisters of Charity-Halifax. She attended Our Lady of Mercy Academy, Syosset for high school. Eileen is survived by her brother Rob and her cousins Diane and Jean and their families.
Sister Eileen ministered at Our Lady Help of Christians School, Brooklyn, from 1965-1970 as a Grade 5 teacher; Saint Sylvester School, Brooklyn from 1970-72 as a Grade 8 teacher and Saint Nicholas of Tolentine School, Jamaica, as a guidance counselor.
Sister Eileen was asked to do formation work for the NY Province and then moved into Social Justice Ministry with the seniors of Saint Agnes Cathedral High School in Rockville Centre followed by years in pastoral ministry in Long Island parishes. After receiving a Masters Degree in Pastoral Studies (Counseling) at Loyola University in Chicago, Sister Eileen worked in a parish in Tennessee and it was there that she co-founded a safe house for victims of domestic violence. In 1990 she returned to New York, and began her ministry with women, first in a shelter for abused women and then as a chaplain at the women’s jail on Rikers’ Island.
Sister Eileen received training in spiritual direction and for the past ten years used these gifts to guide many people including at Saint Ignatius Retreat House, Manhasset. Two years ago she began working with the Christian Life Community, an association of lay Christians who adopt an Ignatian model of spiritual life.
Sister Eileen Schulenburg’s Funeral Mass took place on Wednesday, January 25th at Saint Aidan Parish, Williston Park. Sister Eileen was buried in the Sisters’ plot at Saint John’s Cemetery, Middle Village.
Sister Marie Scanlon, CSJ
(formerly Sister Marian Denise)
She entered the Congregation in 1953 from Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish, Brooklyn and earned a BA in Social Studies from St. Francis College.
Her ministries included: Our Lady of Sorrows, Corona (1955-1961. 1974-1981); St. Ambrose, Brooklyn (1961-1965); St. Vincent de Paul, Brooklyn (1965-1968); Holy Spirit, Brooklyn (1968-1969); Queen of Peace, Kew Gardens (1969-1974); Fontbonne Hall Academy H.S., Brooklyn (1981-1994); Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Brooklyn (1994-2006). She retired in 2006.
Her Mass of Christian Burial took place January 23 in Sacred Heart Chapel, Brentwood, followed by interment in Calvary Cemetery there.
Sister Gracita Daly, BVM
In the Diocese of Rockville Centre, Sister was principal at St. Thomas the Apostle in West Hempstead. She taught elementary school in Chicago and Berwyn, Ill., (where she later served in parish ministry); was superior and principal in Davenport, Iowa; and principal in Lincoln, Neb. She volunteered for United Senior Action in Indianapolis, Ind.
She was born in Burlington, Iowa, on Sept. 18, 1924, to Patrick Frank and Grace Helen (Agnew) Daly. She entered the BVM congregation Sept. 8, 1941, and professed first vows on March 19, 1944, and final vows on Aug. 15, 1949.
She was preceded in death by her parents; sisters Mary C. Daly and Helen C. Luttenegger; and brothers Hugh and Mark. She is survived by nieces, nephews and the Sisters of Charity, BVM, with whom she shared life for 75 years.
Sister Joan Mary Rohan, DW
(formerly Sister Robert of the Immaculate)
Born in Brooklyn, she was one of seven children of Robert Emmet Rohan and Helen McKenna. After attending high school at Our Lady of Wisdom Academy in Ozone Park, she entered the Daughters of Wisdom in Litchfield CT, where she was one of the first to make their Novitiate in the United States, (1951). She later attended St. John’s University in Queens where she earned a BA in psychology and education, MA in clinical psychology, and a professional diploma in child psychology.
Through the early years of studies in psychology at St. John’s University, teaching at St. Mary Gate of Heaven, Ozone Park (1952-1959), and ministering as teacher and school psychologist at Maryhaven Center of Hope, Port Jefferson (1965-1982), Sister consistently reflected the gentleness of Jesus Wisdom to whom she had given her life.
After serving 15 years principal at Montfort Academy in Fredericksburg, VA, (1983- 1998), Sister Joan served as administrative assistant to the leadership of the Daughters of Wisdom Provincial House in Islip for 15 years. She also served as director of the Daughters of Wisdom’s Pre-Novitiate.
Sister Anne Marie Dean, CSJ
(formerly Sister Mary Michaeline)
She entered the Congregation from the parish of Our Lady of Victory, Floral Park in 1957. She earned a BS degree in Education from Brentwood College. In 1983 she received an MA in Theology from the Seminary of the Immaculate Conception, Huntington.
Her ministries included: St. Rose of Lima, Brooklyn (1960-1965); Epiphany, Brooklyn (1965-1966); Colegio Santa Teresita, Ponce, Puerto Rico (1966-1967); Academia San Jorge, Santurce, Puerto Rico (1967-1968); St. Teresa of Avila, Brooklyn (1968-1970); Colegio San Conrado, Ponce, Puerto Rico (1970-1976); Holy Family HS, South Huntington (1976-1981); Youth Minister/DRE, St. Elizabeth Center, Melville (1981-1988); Rockville Centre Office of Catechesis (1988-2006); Faith Formation, St. Joseph parish, Ronkonkoma (2006-2014).
Her wake and Mass of Christian Burial were held in Maria Regina Chapel, November 17-18, 2016 followed by her interment in Calvary Cemetery in Brentwood.
Sister M. Francis Gabriel Lenihan, IHM
Sister M. Francis Gabriel Lenihan, IHM, of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary died on Wednesday, October 26, 2016, at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton. She was 105 years old.
She was born on March 1, 1911, in Scranton, PA and given the name Mary Julia. She was the daughter of the late Daniel D. and Hannah Graney Lenihan. She entered the IHM Congregation on August 14, 1926, and made her temporary profession of vows on January 2, 1929, and her final profession of vows on August 2, 1932.
Sister Francis Gabriel served locally as a teacher at St. Peter Elementary School in Port Washington, (1964 to 1966) and Our Lady of Grace Montessori School in Manhasset, (1984 to 1996). She also taught in schools in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Poughkeepsie and New York City.
From 1997 until the time of her death, Sister Francis Gabriel served as a prayer minister at the IHM Center, Scranton, PA; Marian Convent, Scranton, PA; and Our Lady of Peace Residence, Scranton, PA.
She received a Bachelor of Science degree in education from Marywood College, Scranton, PA.
She was preceded in death by three brothers, John J., William G., and Daniel D.; and two sisters, Rose Duffy and Sister Honor, IHM. She is survived by nieces and nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews; and by members of the IHM Congregation.
Interment was at St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, PA.
Sister Pat Sullivan, CSJ
(formerly Sister Paul Miriam)
Sister Pat entered the Congregation in 1947 from the parish of St. Andrew Avellino, Queens. She earned a BS in Secondary Education from St. John’s University, Jamaica
Her ministries included: St. Agnes Seminary, Brooklyn (1949-1950); Immaculate Conception, Jamaica (1950-1955); St. Anthony of Padua, Brooklyn (1955-1959); Academia Santa Monica, Santurce, PR (1959-1960); Academia San Jorge, Santurce, PR (1960-1962); Holy Cross, Brooklyn (1962-1966); Our Lady of Lourdes, West Islip (1966-1979); Academy of St. Joseph, Brentwood (1979-1981); St. Philip Neri, Northport (1981-1992); Trinity Regional School, East Northport (1992-2004). She then retired in 2004.
Sister Anna M. Desiderio, CSJ
(formerly Sister Mary Sarto)
Sister Anna entered the Congregation in 1953 from the parish of St. Patrick, Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn. She earned a BS in Secondary Education from St. Joseph College in 1967 followed by an MA in Educational Administration from Manhattan College in 1982.
Her ministries included: Holy Cross, Brooklyn (1955-1961); Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Long Island City (1961-1963); Holy Child Jesus, Richmond Hill (1963-1968); Stella Maris HS, Rockaway Park (1968-1979); Asst. Principal St. Angela Hall Academy, Brooklyn (1979-1980); Principal St. Athanasius, Brooklyn (1980-1987); Principal Our Lady of Miracles, Brooklyn (1987-2000); Sacred Heart/St.Stephen, Brooklyn (2000-2005); Coordinator St. Joseph Convent, Brentwood (2005-2013). She then retired in 2013.
Her wake and Mass of Christian Burial took place in Maria Regina chapel October 24-25, 2016, followed by her interment in Calvary Cemetery, Brentwood.
Sister Mary Francesca Morelli, OP
Born in Brooklyn on August 12, 1923 to Anthony and Emmanuela (De Stefano) Morelli, both immigrants from Italy, the family lived in the Parish of St. Joseph Patron on Suydam Street, Brooklyn. It was there that she first met the Amityville Dominican Sisters. On September 8, 1942 Francesca entered the Novitiate at Queen of the Rosary, Amityville. On August 4, 1943 she received the habit and her name Sister Mary Francesca. The next year, on August 7, 1944, she pronounced her first vows.
Sister began her ministry of elementary education in the parish school of St. Joseph in Long Island City in 1944. In 1947 Sister was assigned to her home parish of St. Joseph Patron and remained there until 1959. Sister was then assigned once again to the parish school of St. Joseph in Long Island City only to be re-assigned back to St. Joseph Patron School the next year where she remained until 1968. From 1968 until 1977 Sister taught in the parish school of St. Catherine of Sienna in St. Albans, Queens. Although the convent in St. Albans closed, Francesca moved to Sacred Heart Convent in Cambria Heights for three years and continued at St. Catherine’s School.
Throughout her teaching Sister Francesca was admired for her competence, gentleness, and her ability to be friendly and welcoming to faculty, parents and children alike. While at St. Catherine’s Sister realized the time had come to leave classroom teaching but her love for elementary school and for the people in St. Albans led her to remain at St. Catherine’s until 2009 as the school secretary.
Sister Mary Francesca was a kind, prayerful, Dominican Sister. Through her later years, living in Springfield Gardens and Queens Village, she touched the lives of many of her neighbors.
In August of 2016, with her health further deteriorating, Sister came to Carlin Hall in Amityville where she expressed her appreciation for the health care personnel who looked after her.
Her siblings, Frank, Anthony, Anne, Joan, and Sister Mary Emmanuel, OP, predeceased her. She is survived by her niece Peg Morelli and the extended Morelli and De Stefano families. Burial was in n the Sisters’ cemetery in Amityville.
Sister Marie Elise Regan, IHM
She was born September 2, 1933, in Moscow, PA, and given the name Eileen. She was the daughter of the late Francis and Elizabeth Fowler Regan. She entered the IHM Congregation on September 8, 1951, and made her temporary profession of vows on August 2, 1954, and her final profession of vows on August 2, 1957.
Sister Marie Elise served as a teacher locally at St. Mary’s School in Manhasset, from 1958 to 1961 and St. Raymond’s Elementary School in East Rockaway, from 1978 to 198 as well as schools in North Carolina, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Connecticut. She served as principal at St. Aloysius Elementary School in Cresson, PA, from 1966 to 1969; and St. Agnes Elementary School in Baltimore, MD, from 1969 to 1972. She also served as an instructor at the IHM Educational Enrichment Institute at the IHM Center in Scranton, PA, from 1996 to 2013.
From 2013 until the time of her death, Sister Marie Elise served as a prayer minister at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She is preceded in death by two brothers, John and Thomas; and a sister, Mary. She is survived by a brother, Richard of West Chester, PA; a sister, Doris Bray of Clarks Summit, PA; and nieces and nephews. She is also survived by the members of the IHM Congregation.
Interment was in St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, PA.
Reverend Edward J. Kiernan
Reverend Edward J. Kiernan, retired priest of the Diocese of Brooklyn, died Saturday, September 24, 2016, at the Westhampton Care Center. Father Kiernan was born on October 18, 1928 in Brooklyn and was ordained to the priesthood on May 29, 1954. He served the Diocese of Brooklyn as Pastor of St. Columba (Brooklyn), St. Andrew the Apostle (Brooklyn) and as Parochial Vicar of St. Joseph (Long Island City), St. Andrew (Flushing) and Holy Family (Flushing).
Sister Mary Angeline MacIntyre, SC
(formerly Sister Anne Daniel)
Sister Mary Angeline MacIntyre, SC, (formerly Sister Anne Daniel) died on September 9, 2016 at Parkstone Enhanced Care, Halifax, Nova Scotia at the age of 93. Sister Mary Angeline ministered at Seton Hall Convent and High School, Patchogue. She also ministered in various places in Halifax, Nova Scotia. In several of these places she was involved in catechetics, visiting shut-ins, palliative care and as a nursing aide. In 1996, Sister Mary Angeline retired from active duty and took up residence in Mount Saint Vincent Motherhouse, Halifax until she moved in 2002 to Parkstone Enhanced Care where she lived until her death.
Her Funeral Mass took place on Thursday, September 15 in the Immaculate Conception Chapel in Caritas Residence, Halifax, Nova Scotia. Sister Mary Angeline was buried in Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Lower Sackville, NS.
Father Ronald R. Saucci, 81,
Maryknoll Missioner To Hong Kong
Maryknoll, New York — Father Ronald R. Saucci, M.M., of Brooklyn and East Meadow, died at Mission St. Teresa’s Residence, Ossining, on September 1, 2016. He was 81 years old and a Maryknoll priest for 51 years.
Father Saucci was born on February 24, 1935 in Brooklyn, New York, where he attended Public School 215 and graduated from Lafayette High School in 1952. He completed one year at St. John’s University College of Pharmacy in Brooklyn before he was called into the U.S. Army. Father Saucci served in Germany for two years and was honorably discharged as a corporal. He entered the Maryknoll Junior Seminary (Venard) at Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, in 1956.
He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy (1960) at Maryknoll College, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, and his Bachelor of Divinity degree (1965) at Maryknoll Seminary, New York. After ordination on June 12, 1965, he was assigned to Maryknoll’s Mission Region in Hong Kong. After learning Catonese at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Father Saucci served as assistant pastor in Star of the Sea Parish in Chai Wan. Most of the parishioners were refugees who had fled from Guangdong. During this same time, Father Saucci celebrated Mass on board U.S. Navy ships that anchored in Hong Kong and served as a chaplain and guide for the sailors on shore leave.
Father Saucci was recalled to the United States during 1969 to serve in Maryknoll’s New York City Development House. Befriended by an NBC television executive, Father Saucci was invited to appear on a weekly television talk show. Maryknoll World was broadcast every Sunday for more than 12 years on WNBC-TV New York and regional cable stations. Father Saucci served as host for the first 10 years of the program.
The Maryknoll World radio program hosted by Father Saucci was heard on more than 700 stations across the country and his weekly newspaper column of the same name appeared in many newspapers. During this time, Father Saucci also became a member of the board of The Christophers, an organization founded by Maryknoll’s Father James Keller, M.M., that encourages people to use their God-given talents to provide a positive difference in the world. Father Saucci served on the board until 1999.
Father Saucci was named assistant director of Maryknoll’s social communications department during 1974. Among his duties was the production of films about the church’s work in mission. During 1978, Father Saucci became acting director of Maryknoll’s social communications department and acting director of The Christophers. During that same year, as a Non-Governmental Organizations’ (NGO) representative to the United Nations, Father Saucci was elected to a two-year term of office on the NGO governing board.
During 1980, as a member of Maryknoll’s U.S. Region, Father Saucci was assigned to Hong Kong as the Asian correspondent for Maryknoll magazine. He also served part-time as assistant executive director for the Union of Catholic Asian News (UCAN), described as Asia’s most trusted independent Catholic News source. He was appointed UCAN director and executive editor during 1983. Two years later, Father Saucci again was assigned to Maryknoll’s Hong Kong Region and remained with UCAN.
During 1987, Father Saucci returned home and was assigned to Maryknoll’s U.S. Region as director of the social communications department. In this position, he served as publisher of Maryknoll magazine, Revista Maryknoll and Orbis Books, Maryknoll’s book publishing unit. Father Saucci also produced several documentaries about mission work for network television. The documentary Hong Kong: On Borrowed Time was broadcast nationally during 1994 and 1995.
Father Saucci was reassigned to Hong Kong in 1993. He was appointed deputy executive director of UCAN and executive director of the Servicemen’s Guides Association (SGA) that provides hospitality and guidance to visiting sailors. At this same time, he also worked at St. Joseph’s Church, serving the Filipino community in Hong Kong.
Father Saucci returned to Maryknoll, New York, in 2015 and was assigned to the Maryknoll Senior Missioner Community.
Father Saucci was born on February 24, 1935 in Brooklyn, New York, where he attended Public School 215 and graduated from Lafayette High School in 1952. He completed one year at St. John’s University College of Pharmacy in Brooklyn before he was called into the U.S. Army. Father Saucci served in Germany for two years and was honorably discharged as a corporal. He entered the Maryknoll Junior Seminary (Venard) at Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, in 1956. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy (1960) at Maryknoll College, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, and his Bachelor of Divinity degree (1965) at Maryknoll Seminary, New York.
Father Saucci is survived by two brothers, Eugene Saucci of North Massapequa, and Andrew Saucci of Baldwin and his sister, Irene Pappas, of Bay Shore.
A Mass of Christian Burial was concelebrated on September 7, 2016 at Our Lady Queen of Apostles Chapel.
Sister Rita T. Finnen, DW
(formerly Sister Joseph of the Trinity)
Daughter of Wisdom, Sister Rita T. Finnen, DW, 85 (Sister Joseph of the Trinity) died on August 26, 2016. Sr. Rita was 64 years professed.
Born in Brooklyn she was the youngest of five children of the late Malachi A. and Alice Taylor Finnen. She is survived by her sister, Alice Finnen McGowan and husband Hugh of Katonah, NY; and several nieces and nephews and their families. In addition to her parents, she is preceded in death by her brothers, Joseph and Malachy; and a sister, Mary.
Sr. Rita’s first encounter with the Daughters of Wisdom was as a volunteer at Holy Family Hospital in Brooklyn. She was attracted by the Sisters’ commitment to children with disabilities and inspired by their vision to educate for independence. Her first assignment after entering the congregation was to study nursing at Maryview Hospital, Portsmouth, VA. She earned a BSN at St. John’s University, Jamaica, and afterwards studied nursing administration with a minor in medical-surgical nursing and an additional emphasis on teaching methods at Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, there she earned an MSN.
She subsequently served as a clinical nurse, director of nursing and a college educator of nurses. During her career, she worked in New York at Good Samaritan Hospital, West Islip, and St. Charles Hospital, Port Jefferson, both founded by the Daughters of Wisdom. She was an assistant professor at Bluefield State College, North Carolina, and later a professor of nursing at East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, where she lived with as is survived by Sister Edna English, DW. After she completed her time on the faculty at East Carolina University, she served as an instructor at Pitt County Memorial Hospital, NC (now Vidant Medical Center). Upon her retirement from teaching, Sr. Rita volunteered at a local radio station one evening a week to read the local news for people who were blind.
Sr. Rita’s wake and funeral were at St. Gabriel’s Catholic Church in Greenville, NC on Thursday, September 1, 2016. A memorial mass was celebrated on Thursday, September 8, at St. Charles Hospital Chapel, Port Jefferson, followed by burial at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Coram.
Sister Bernadette Jones, OP
She was born to Paul and Bernadette Jones on March 13, 1951 and was baptized at St. Angela Merici Church in the Bronx.
Sister Bernie, as she came to be known by most people, graduated from Hicksville H.S. and went on to Molloy College where she earned a BS in Education and later a BSN in nursing. She entered the Dominican Sisters, Congregation of the Holy Cross, Amityville on August 29, 1972. Her postulancy was spent at Notre Dame Convent in New Hyde Park and her novitiate in an inter-communty setting in Dover, Massachusetts, Brentwood, N.Y. and the “cottage” in Amityville. She then taught at St. Margaret’s School in Middle Village where it wasn’t uncommon for her fourth grade students to ring the convent doorbell and ask if Sister Bernie could come out to play ball with them.
After the death of her mother, Sister Bernie left the Congregation to assist her father while at the same time working at Komanoff Pavilion in Long Beach and pursuing her nursing degree at Molloy.
After the death of her father, Sister Bernie returned to the Congregation. She was assigned to St. Anthony Convent in Oceanside and began working at Mercy Hospital in Rockville Centre mainly in the medical-surgical unit with a specialty in orthopedics. After five years she was appointed by the Congregation as Director of Nursing Services for Carlin Hall, the Amityville infirmary. She loved the Sisters in Carlin Hall and cared for them with devotion visiting each one every day. She worked with an exceptional staff of nurses and aides who shared Sister Bernie’s passion for remembering that Carlin Hall was the Sisters’ home as well as where they received care.
After serving in Amityville for seventeen years Bernie worked at Queen of Peace Residence in Queens Village. When she was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2008 she had to give up bedside nursing because of her diminished immune system but this didn’t stop her. She then became Director of the Medicine Program at Dominican Village. After this she returned to teaching. She prepared the Medicine Program students who were in training to work for AHRC.
Over eight years Bernie underwent every available treatment including multiple clinical trials for handling the disease of myeloma. She was valiant in her positive attitude and determination to contribute to knowledge which may help others in the future.
She is survived by her brother, Paul, and sister-in-law, Linda, her sister, Ellen, and brother-in-law, Peter, her niece, Heather, and her nephews, Paul, Jr. (PJ), Keith and Jeffrey and an extended family of cousins as well as the Sisters of St. Dominic.
The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated August 29. Burial followed in the sisters’ cemetery in Amityville
Sister Dolores Lawson, CSJ(formerly Sister Ann Dolores)
Sister Dolores Lawson, formerly Sister Ann Dolores, a member of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph, Brentwood, died August 18, 2016 in Maria Regina Residence. She was in the 69th year of her religious life.
Sister entered the Congregation in 1947 from the parish of St. Thomas the Apostle, Woodhaven. She obtained a BBA degree in Business from St. John’s University followed by an MS in Administration/Supervision.
Her ministries included: St. Teresa of Avila, Brooklyn (1949-1952); St. Patrick, Long Island City (1952-1953, 1971-1979); Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Brooklyn (1953-1963); St. Clare, Rosedale (1963-1965); St. John the Evangelist, Brooklyn (1965-1967); St. Mary Mother of Jesus, Brooklyn (1967-1971); Eastern Point House of Prayer, Glouster, Massachusetts (1979-1980); Alhambra House,Huntington Station (1980-2000); Finance Office of Sisters of St. Joseph, Brentwood (2000-2007). She retired in 2007.
Her wake and Mass of Christian Burial took place in Maria Regina Chapel August 23-24, 2016. She was interred in Calvary Cemetery, Brentwood.
Sister Margaret Anne (Peggie) Merritt, OP
(formerly Sister Martin Anne)
Peggie was born in Brooklyn on March 26, 1937 to Martin and Evelyn Sheridan Merritt. On September 10, 1955, Peggie entered the novitiate at Queen of the Rosary, Amityville and on August 6, 1956 she was clothed in the Dominican habit and received her religious name, Sister Martin Anne. She pronounced her vows of poverty, chastity and obedience on August 8, 1957.
For almost 60 years, Sister Peggie’s life in ministry was dedicated to the field of elementary education as teacher, principal and volunteer. Her early years as a teacher began at Our Lady of Solace in Coney Island. From there she went to Cure of Ars, Merrick; Little Flower School, Montauk; St. Joseph Patron, Brooklyn; and Blessed Virgin Mary Help of Christians, Woodside. In 1971, she was appointed principal of St. Pius V in Jamaica and later served as principal at Incarnation, Queens Village. From 1979 until 2011, Sister Peggie was principal of St. Michael/St. John Neumann School in East New York, Brooklyn, a place that became home for almost four decades.
From 1978 to 1989, Sister Peggie lived at Tops for You in Bushwick, Brooklyn, where she and Sister Betty Nickels shared life, meals and community with homeless young women. The love, guidance and compassion that Sisters Betty and Peggie offered allowed the young women to experience presence and stability as they continued their journey into adulthood.
Sister Peggie helped organize the Catholic Urban Educators, religious Sisters and Brothers who met annually in Chicago to develop teaching methods to assist them in working with minority children and their parents and shared contacts for funding projects that would assist children attending these schools. Sister Peggie was elected treasurer of this group.
St. Michael’s Parish was an early member of the East Brooklyn Congregations and Sister Peggie was an ardent supporter of its mission: faith in God, belief in organizing, advocating for the people and working with government officials to accomplish goals. Parishioners were trained in the art of advocating. As a result of these efforts, over a period of ten years low income homes were built in East New York and Brownsville. Vacant rubbish-filled lots were replaced with well-kept homes, trees and gardens. Sisters Peggie and Sheila Buhse asked their Dominican Congregation to purchase one of the homes, giving them the chance to witness to the People of God by living among them. For 26 years these Sisters lived proudly among the people they loved.
Peggie’s presence to the parishioners of St. Michael’s was one of her greatest contributions. She responded to the needs of people both day and night—visiting families grieving the loss of a loved one, attending night court appearances, going to hospitals—she was the epitome of compassion. For three summers, Peggie provided an opportunity for teenage girls from St. Michael’s to work among the poorest of the poor in Mexico.
When Peggie “retired” she took several days off and then went to work for the Brooklyn Diocese as a fundraiser for Futures in Education. She wrote letters of appeal to the alumni of Catholic schools and raised thousands of dollars to defray tuition costs for many families.
Sister Peggie was predeceased by her parents; her brother, Martin; and her sisters, Mary and Connie. She is survived by her sister, Clare, her nieces and nephews, her Dominican sisters, She was buried in the Sisters’ cemetery in Amityville.
Sister M. Anitra Nemotko, IHM, Ph.D.
She was born on September 17, 1938 in Dunmore, PA, and was the daughter of the late Anthony J. and Ann Therese Dougherty Nemotko. She entered the IHM Congregation on February 2, 1959, made temporary vows on August 4, 1961 and final August 4, 1967.
Sister Anitra served at the following schools: St. Mary’s High School in Manhasset from 1961 to 1962 as well as at high schools in Pennsylvania and Marywood University from 1980 to 2007. She also served as the IHM Congregation Archivist from 2008 to 2016.
Sister received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology from Marywood College, a Master of Science degree in Biology from Villanova University and a Ph.D. degree from the University of Pittsburgh, where she was awarded a Doctoral Fellowship. She held memberships and made conference presentations at several learned societies which included the Human Anatomy and Physiology Society (HAPS), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAA), the National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) and the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA). She was also a member of the Archivists of Congregations of Women Religious (ACWR) and the Society of American Archivists (SAA). Board memberships included the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science (PJAS) and St. Joseph’s Center in Scranton..
Sister Anitra was an Associate Professor of Biology at Marywood University and was awarded Faculty Emerita status in 2014.
She is survived by several cousins and the members of the IHM Congregation.
Sister Rosemary Gillen, OP
(Sister Mary Callista)
Born in Brooklyn, Rosemary was the daughter of Francis and Mary Gillen. The family moved to the parish of St. Thomas the Apostle in Woodhaven, Queens, where she first met the Dominican Sisters of Amityville. On September 8, 1940 Rosemary entered the Novitiate in Amityville. She received the habit and the name Sister Mary Callista on August 4, 1941. The next year, on August 6, 1942 Sister pronounced her vows.
Sister Rosemary had a long ministry in education in Brooklyn, Queens and Long Island, including locally at Our Lady of Lourdes in Massapequa Park; Notre Dame, New Hyde Park and St. Catherine of Sienna in Franklin Square.
In 1997 Sister retired and moved to Our Lady of Consolation Convent in Amityville, where her ministry became intercessory prayer for others. One year later, she came to the Motherhouse in Amityville, first living in Rosary Hall then, as her health deteriorated, to Carlin Hall.
In each of the convents where Sister Rosemary lived, the Sisters found her to be a kind, prayerful, creative and cooperative person.
Sister Anne was predeceased by her sister, Sister Anne Gillen, OP, another sister and brothers. Survivors include her nieces, nephew, and extended family member
Burial was in the Sisters’ cemetery in Amityville.
Sister Mary Slaymaker, CSJ
She entered the Congregation in 1944 from Holy Name parish, Brooklyn. After earning a BA in English from Manhattan College she received an MS degree in Library Science from St. John’s University in 1960; Certification in Administration from Brooklyn College and an MA in Theology/Liturgy from Immaculate Conception Seminary.
Her ministries included: St. James, Brooklyn (1945-1946); St. John the Evangelist, Brooklyn (1946-1949); St. Malachy, Brooklyn (1949-1955); St. Camillus, Rockaway Beach (1955-1956); Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Brooklyn (1956-1959); St. Angela Hall Academy HS, Brooklyn(1959-1964); Bishop McDonnell HS Annex, Flushing (1964-1965); St. Pascal Baylon HS, St. Albans (1965-1967); Fontbonne Hall Academy HS, Brooklyn (1967-1970); Principal of St. Agnes, Brooklyn (1970-1977); Principal of St. Bernard, Levittown (1977-1981); Immaculate Conception, Jamaica (1981-1989); Sacred Heart Academy HS, Hempstead ((1989-1992); Sacred Heart parish, Bayside (1992-1995); Bishop Kearney HS, Brooklyn (1995-2011). In 2011 she retired to St. Joseph Convent, Brentwood and then transferred to Maria Regina Residence in 2016.
Her wake and Mass of Christian Burial were held in Maria Regina Chapel July 20-21, 2016 followed by her interment in Calvary Cemetery, Brentwood.
Sister Alice Francis Young, CSJ
Sister Alice Francis Young, 101 years old, a member of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph, Brentwood died July 6, 2016 in St. Joseph College Convent, Brooklyn in the 83rd year of her religious life.
She entered the Congregation in 1932 from Our Lady of Angels parish, Brooklyn. Her professional/academic background began in St. Joseph College where she received a BA in Psychology/Education in 1940 followed by an MA in Curriculum/Teaching from Teachers College-Columbia University in 1942 and an MA in Child Development from the University of Minnesota in 1952.
From 1934-1936 she was assigned to Our Lady of Sorrows, Corona followed by the remainder of her ministerial life in St. Joseph College, Brooklyn as Professor of Child Development until 2000. Her role in early childhood education was outstanding and she led the way for the first Headstart program in the city and in the country. As a Master Teacher at St. Joseph College for over 40 years she helped educate thousands. As part of the Congressional Record of the 112th Congress (2011-2012) she received special recognition for her outstanding contribution to education by the United States Senate.
Her wake was held in St. Joseph College Convent, Brooklyn on July 11 and her Mass of Christian Burial in Sacred Heart Chapel, Brentwood July 12. This was followed by her interment in Calvary Cemetery, Brentwood.
Sister Miriam Michael Joos, OP
The daughter of Francis and Mary Halkenhauser Joos, Maryann was raised in the parish of the Blessed Virgin Mary Help of Christians in Woodside, Queens. On September 7, 1947, she entered the Novitiate in Amityville and on August 4, 1948 she received the habit and her religious name, Sister Miriam Michael.
Sister earned a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics at St. John’s University and a Master of Science in Teaching with a concentration in Mathematics at Fordham University.
Sister Miriam Michael’s long ministry in education began at elementary schools in Queens — St. Thomas the Apostle, Woodhaven; Sacred Heart, East Glendale, and St. Pancras, Glendale. Then for three decades she nurtured students at St. Michael’s High School, East New York; Colegio Santa Rosa, Bayamon, Puerto Rico; All Saints High School, Brooklyn; Bishop McDonnell Memorial High School, Brooklyn; St. Agnes Cathedral High School, Rockville Centre; and Kellenberg Memorial High School, Uniondale.
After almost 40 years as a teacher, in 1988 she assumed a role as coordinator in the Rockville Centre Diocesan Office. In 1993, Sister Miriam Michael became a pastoral associate at Cure of Ars, Merrick, a ministry that lasted more than a decade.
Sister Miriam Michael retired from active ministry in 2004 and in 2011 she moved to Rosary Hall at the Motherhouse in Amityville. Declining health necessitated a further move to Carlin Hall.
Sister was predeceased by her brothers Frank and George. She is survived by her sister and brother-in-law, Madeline and Dominic Urso, by her sister-in-law, Joan Joos, and by her nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews.
Services were held at St. Albert’s Chapel at Queen of the Rosary Motherhouse with burial in the Sisters’ cemetery there.
Sister Lois J. Keller, RSM
Sister Lois served as president of the Brooklyn Regional Community from 1984 to 1993 and as their community life director from 1980 to 1984. She held a doctorate in biology from St. John’s University and a Canon Law degree from St. Paul’s University in Ottawa, Canada.
Sister Lois ministered in all levels of education and served as a canon lawyer for the Defender of the Bond in the Marriage Tribunal of the Diocese of Rockville Centre, after her time in leadership. A wake and Mass of Christian Burial were held at the Sisters of Mercy Convent, 22-04 Parsons Blvd., Whitestone, followed by burial at Holy Cross Cemetery, Brooklyn.
Sister Mary William Posthauer, OP
Born to Charles and Elizabeth Posthauer in College Point, Queens, on January 24, 1917, Agnes was the second of five daughters. The family lived in St. Fidelis Parish, College Point where Agnes first met the Dominican Sisters of Amityville. She began her high school years in what was then called St. Agnes Academy but in her second year transferred to the newly formed Dominican Sisters Juniorate located in Watermill to complete her studies. Agnes was in the first graduating class and entered the Novitiate in Amityville on February 2, 1935. She received her habit and the name Sister Mary William on August 15th, 1935 and on August 18, 1936 pronounced her vows. Her ministry was education.
She began teaching in the elementary schools of St. Margaret’s parish in Middle Village, Queens, and then in Sacred Heart parish in East Glendale. While teaching at Sacred Heart, Sister began studies for a B.A. degree at St. John’s University with a major concentration in Latin. In 1948 Sister Mary William was transferred to Dominican Commercial High School to teach Spanish and English. Sister then pursued a Master’s degree in Spanish, also at St. John’s University. In addition to her teaching duties at Dominican Commercial and pursuing her Master’s, Sister supervised the production of the yearbook, doing all the photography by herself. Sister also was moderator of the debate club.
In 1966, Sister Mary William was transferred to Molloy College, Rockville Centre, and served in both the Education and Foreign Languages departments. While on the faculty, Sister began her doctoral studies at Teachers College at Columbia University. Her time at Columbia was a particularly enjoyable experience for her. At Columbia she especially enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. Always physically active, Sister walked in the neighborhood around the University and visited many of the Hispanic families who lived in the area. Because of the number of Jewish students and neighbors, Sister also sat shiva with them when a relative died. Additionally, she tutored some of her fellow doctoral students from other countries who were having trouble writing their dissertation with correct English grammar. After receiving her EdD., Sister Mary applied for and won grants for further study at Fairfield University, Temple University, and for two years at the Catholic University in Valencia, Spain.
There she also became involved with Peace Corps Volunteers who were required to learn Swahili. Sister called her experience of learning Swahili “fun” but believed it unlikely she would become fluent in it. Sister later became academic dean at Molloy College.
From 1982-1988, Sister Mary William responded to a need for a principal at Our Holy Redeemer parish school, Freeport, which was receiving an influx of Spanish speaking parishioners. While there she served both the children and the adult Spanish speaking parishioners. In 1988 she was asked by the Congregation to come to Amityville as Director of Sisters’ Studies. She moved to Amityville and also served as religious education coordinator at Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal parish in Point Lookout. Subsequently, she became a religious education instructor with extra duties at St. Matthew parish in Dix Hills.
When Dominican Village Retirement and Assisted Living Community opened in 1992, Sister Mary William came on as a volunteer. She taught the residents Spanish and line dancing and produced a newsletter for which she did all the photography. When her sight became impaired, she began special sessions for the residents with low vision and made personal visits to the residents. At the same time she became active in both the Dominican Village Civic Association and that of North Amityville until she could no longer continue because of near blindness and hearing loss. Her interests remained active, however, as she listened to books on tape and, with the help of Sister Nivard Stabile who faithfully read the daily newspaper and religious material to her for many years, Sister Mary kept up with world and local events as long as possible.
Sister Mary William was honored by the Amityville Dominicans at a yearly Gala event as an extraordinary member of the Congregation and of the larger community who embodied the best of the Dominican tradition. Additionally, she was honored by the Dominican Village Board of Directors as a treasured volunteer and a source of inspiration and encouragement to the residents.
Sister Mary William’s siblings, including Sister Anne Patrice, OP, and Sister Mary Mercy, OP, predeceased her but she will be dearly missed by the Amityville Congregation and by her nieces, nephews, her sister Joan, and their extended families.
Funeral services took place in St. Albert’s Chapel at Queen of the Rosary Motherhouse with burial in the Sisters’ cemetery.
Sister Madeleine Merritt, IHM
She was born on February 10, 1929, in Providence, RI, and given the name Margaret Edna. She was the daughter of the late Raymond and Mary Donahue Merritt. She entered the IHM Congregation on September 7, 1947, and made her temporary profession of vows on May 8, 1950, and her final profession of vows on August 2, 1953.
Sister Madeleine served as a teacher in the Rockville Centre Diocese at St. Raymond’s Elementary School in East Rockaway and St. Mary Elementary School in Manhasset, as well as schools in Queens, upstate New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Pennsylvania. While on the support staff at the Marian Convent in Scranton, she also taught at the GED program and a creative writing course at the Lackawanna County Prison in Scranton, PA, from 1983 to 1984.
She also served as pastoral minister at St. Ambrose Parish in Endicott, NY, from 1986 to 2010; and as a Telespond volunteer from 2010 to 2015.
From 2015 until the time of her death, Sister Madeleine served as a prayer minister at Our Lady of Peace Residence.
Funeral services were held at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton, followed by interment at St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, PA.
Sister Christine Francis Kennedy, OP
Patricia, the daughter of James and Mary Mullane Kennedy, was born on January 30, 1930 and was raised along with her two brothers and two sisters in Jackson Heights, New York. On September 8, 1951, she entered the Dominican Sisters and on August 4, 1952 she received the habit and her name in religion, Christine Francis.
Christine’s life in ministry was rich and varied. For the first two decades she was involved in education. From 1953 to 1960, she taught elementary school at St. Agnes Cathedral School, Rockville Centre; Blessed Virgin Mary Help of Christians, Woodside and Sacred Heart, East Glendale. In 1960, she was assigned to teach business subjects in St. Michael High School in Brooklyn and then in 1962 she began teaching at All Saints High School in Brooklyn. From 1964 to 1971, Christine taught business administration at Catholic University in Ponce, Puerto Rico.
Upon returning to New York, she pursued a Master of Social Work degree at Yeshiva University and, with Sisters Mary Ann Cyrnik, Mary Elizabeth Kelleher, and Peggy Murphy, and layman, Jim Cusack, was part of the foundation of Veritas Villa, a nationally known and acclaimed alcohol rehabilitation center, first located on the grounds of St. Joseph in Monticello and currently located in Kerhonkson, NY.
In 1977, Sister Christine was elected Regional Superior and served on the executive board of the Congregation until 1981. She then ministered as counselor at Dominican Commercial High School, Jamaica, and at Bishop Kearney High School, Brooklyn, served as a supervisor for Alcoholism Serve—Stop DWI, and was a social worker at St. Gregory Service Center in Bellerose. When her health began to fail, she came to Carlin Hall at Queen of the Rosary Motherhouse in Amityville.
Sister Christine was predeceased by her brother, Jim, and by her sisters, Fran and Joan. She is survived by her brother, Jack, and his wife, Margie, and by her niece and nephews. Services were held at St. Albert Chapel of the Motherhouse in Amityville with burial in the Sisters’ cemetery there.
Sister Eileen Marie Koehler, OP
Sister Eileen Marie Koehler , OP, died on June 10, 2016. Sister was 96 years old and had dedicated 81 years to life as a Dominican Sister of Amityville.
Marie was the daughter of Jacob and Sarah Achebach Koehler and was born, along with her twin, Jack, on September 16, 1919. In November, 1919, the family moved from Ozone Park, Queens, to Rockville Centre. She entered the Dominican Sisters on September 2, 1934 and on August 13, 1935 she received the habit and her name in religion, Eileen Marie.
Sister was a teacher at Corpus Christi, Mineola; St. Ignatius, Long Beach; and St. Catherine of Sienna, Franklin Square. From 1963-1969 she was principal at Notre Dame, New Hyde Park. In August, 1970, Sister Eileen was called to be superior at St. Rose Convent, Melville, the retirement house for 28 elderly Sisters. A few months later, the Sisters were notified that St. Rose would close and the Sisters would move to Amityville.
For the next five years, Sister Eileen Marie and Sister Noemi Kreppein worked together in Rosary Hall, opening the doors to Sisters’ relatives and friends, and planting the seeds for what would eventually become the Craft Fair and the Booster Club. Following this, Sister served as secretary to those Sisters in Vocation/Formation ministry.
When Sister Eileen retired in 2003, her love for and attention to the Sisters continued. She spent her day praying for all those coming and going from the Motherhouse—staff, visitors and Sisters.
Sister Eileen was predeceased by her siblings and is survived by many loving nieces and nephews and their families. She was buried in the Sisters’ cemetery in Amityville.
Sister Joyce Osgood, OP
(Sister Mary Pia, OP)
Sister Joyce Osgood died June 2, 2016. She was 75 and had devoted 56 years as a Dominican Sister of Amityville.
Joyce was born to John and Anne Osgood in Brooklyn on December 12, 1940. On September 6, 1959, she entered the Dominican Novitiate at Queen of the Rosary Motherhouse, Amityville, from the parish of St.Ephrem in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. She received the habit and the name Sister Mary Pia on August 5, 1960.
From 1960 to 1969 she taught in the elementary schools of the parishes of Notre Dame, New Hyde Park; St. Catherine of Sienna, Franklin Square; and St. Boniface in Elmont. During her ministry at St. Boniface, Sister Joyce, following the spirit of Vatican II, recognized the value of having some Sisters engaged in Parish Ministry. She wrote to the leadership of the Congregation was assigned her to parish ministry at St. Paul the Apostle in Jericho.
She earned her Master’s Degree in Theology and from 1980 until 1994 was a member of the pastoral staff at Mercy Hospital in Rockville Centre. Her great love for the critical care patients and families she worked with as a chaplain brought her to a realization that she would like to do hospice work. She completed a study program at Central Islip Hospital on Long Island and began to minister at the Hospice in Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip in 1994. From 2001 until her retirement in April, 2016, Sister Joyce ministered as a hospice chaplain at Good Shepherd in Port Jefferson Station and Good Shepherd in Melville.
She is survived by her sisters Joanne Cahill and June Moffa and their children and extended families. Burial was the Sisters’ cemetery in Amityville.
Sister Eleanor Kalafut, IHM
She was born on October 29, 1934, in Jessup, PA. She was the daughter of the late Stephen and Anna Holecko Kalafut. She entered the IHM Congregation on October 29, 1952, and made her temporary profession of vows on August 3, 1955, and her final profession of vows on August 3, 1958.
Sister Eleanor taught locally at St. Raymond Elementary School in East Rockaway from 1967 to 1978 as well as at schools in Binghamton, North Carolina, Rhode Island and Pennsylvania.
Sister Eleanor was principal at St. Rose Elementary School in Carbondale, PA, from 1981 to 1988; and St. John the Baptist Elementary School in Pittsburgh, PA, from 1988 to 1989. She also served as coordinator for religion at St. Thomas Aquinas Elementary School in Archbald, PA, from 1978 to 1979; director of religious education at St. James Parish in Jessup, PA, from 1989 to 1992; and parish minister at St. James Parish in Jessup, from 1992 to 1995.
From 1995 until the time of her death, Sister Eleanor served at LaSalle Academy in Jessup. She was a teacher in junior high from 1995 to 1998; vice-principal from 1998 to 2001; and religion teacher and liturgist from 2001 to 2016.
Sister M. Jeannine Parry, IHM
Sister M. Jeannine Parry, IHM, of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary died on Monday, May 23, 2016, at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She was born on January 10, 1924, in Pittston, PA, and given the name Marion. She was the daughter of the late Henry and Rose Ann Donahue Parry. She entered the IHM Congregation on September 8, 1941, and made her temporary profession of vows on May 8, 1944, and her final profession of vows on August 2, 1947.
Sister Jeannine served locally as principal at St. Mary Elementary School in Manhasset from 1996 to 2000 and as a volunteer at the school until 2012. She also taught at elementary schools in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Forest Hills and Nyack, NY and Pennsylvania
From 2012 until the time of her death, Sister Jeannine served as a prayer minister at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She received a Bachelor of Arts degree and a Master of Science degree in elementary education from Marywood College.
She is preceded in death by a brother, Joseph.
Sister Loretta Murphy, CSJ
Sister Loretta Murphy, formerly Sister John Muriel, a member of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph, Brentwood, died May 17, 2016 in Immaculate Conception Convent, Jamaica Estates. Sister was in the 65th year of her religious life.
She entered the Congregation in 1951 from the parish of St. Gerard Majella, Queens. She received a BBA degree from St. John’s University in 1972.
Her ministries included: St. John the Evangelist, Brooklyn (1953-1960); St. Stanislaus Kostka, Maspeth (1960-1964); Immaculate Conception, Jamaica (1964-2016). Of the 65 years spent in ministry, 52 of them were spent as a “Sister of the Neighborhood” in Immaculate Conception parish, Jamaica. After teaching in the primary grades she worked generously with generations of families in religious education, after-school programs, liturgical services and many parish events.
Sister Margaret Mary Caulson, IHM
Sister Margaret Mary Caulson, IHM, (formerly known as Sister Mary Ronan) of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary died on Thursday, May 5, 2016, at Our Lady of Peace Residence, Scranton.
Sister Margaret Mary served locally as a teacher and in various other pastoral roles. She taught at St. Raymond Elementary School in East Rockaway, from 1977 to 1980 and St. Mary’s Elementary School, Manhasset from 1980 to 1988. She also taught at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Elementary School in Forest Hills, Marywood Seminary High School in Scranton, PA, St. Patrick Elementary School in Scranton, St. Rose Elementary School in Carbondale, PA, and Holy Trinity Elementary School in Poughkeepsie, NY.
She also served as Director of Junior Sisters for the IHM Congregation in Scranton, PA, from 1970 to 1974; live-in staff support at Samaritan House in Brooklyn, NY, from 1985 to 1987; parish minister at St. Ann Parish in Brentwood, NY, from 1989 to 1991; pastoral counselor for religious education at Good Shepherd Parish in Holbrook from 1991 to 1999; night manager and live-in support at Rosa Parks Shelter in Roosevelt from 1990 to 2000; counselor residential and house parent at Boys Hope Girls Hope in Staten Island from 2000 to 2002; pastoral care counselor at Hospice Care Network in Woodbury from 2002 to 2007; and chaplain at Hospice Care Network in Woodbury from 2007 to 2014.
From 2014 until the time of her death, Sister Margaret Mary served as a prayer minister at home in North Merrick and at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She is survived by three brothers, Frank Caulson and wife, Peggy, Manhasset; Charles Caulson and wife, Sue, Aurora, CO; and James Caulson; and five sisters, Mary Agnes Kellerman and husband, Don, Orlando, FL; Sister Beatrice Caulson, IHM, Gainesville, FL; Joan Pope and husband, Kevin, Saugherties, NY; Ann Marie Salva and husband, Frank, Blakely, PA; and Alice Caulson, Scranton, PA; and eighteen nieces and nephews and fourteen grandnephews and grandnieces. She is also survived by members of the IHM Congregation.
Sister Ana Maria Marrero, OP
(Sister Scholastica, OP)
Born in Puerto Rico on April 4, 1918, Ana Maria was the daughter of Ruffino and Maria (Hernández) Ruffino. She was the first child of a large family who knew real poverty at the time.
Ana Maria first met the Amityville Dominicans in their missions in Puerto Rico. In 1936 Ana entered the Dominican Novitiate in Amityville from the parish of Vega Alta, Puerto Rico. She received the habit and the name Sister Scholastica on August 8, 1937 and pronounced her first vows on August 20, 1938.
Sister’s first mission was helping with domestic work at Cathedral College Preparatory High School in Brooklyn for a year where she also was able to improve her English language skills. Sister Ana loved to cook and beginning in September 1939 was assigned to serve the Sisters in this capacity first in the convents of the parishes of St. Barbara, Brooklyn, and then at St. Clement Pope, South Ozone Park, Queens. From 1945 until 1950 Sister Ana Maria assisted with the cooking and other domestic tasks in St. Rose Convent, Melville.
Sister Ana Maria held a B.A. from the Catholic University of Puerto Rico and an M.S. from the University of Puerto Rico. She later received an M.S.T. (Master of Science in Teaching Theology) from the Aquinas Institute, then located in Dubuque, Iowa. In 1950 Sister Ana Maria returned to Puerto Rico where she served first as a nursing assistant and then for many years in elementary education. From 1988-1993, she ministered to the elderly.
As her health began to fail Sister Ana Maria came to Queen of the Rosary Motherhouse in Amityville in 1993 where her ministry became intercessory prayer. The return to the Motherhouse enabled her to be near family members who, with her help and assistance, had settled in the New York area. The need for greater assistance with her health needs in 2003 necessitated her move to Maria Regina Residence in Brentwood.
Sister is survived by her sister, Felicita Marrero, and by many nieces and nephews.
Sister Elizabeth Proefriedt, CSJ
Sister Elizabeth Proefriedt, formerly Sister Vincent Loretto, a member of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph, died April 29, 2016 in Maria Regina Residence. She was in the 66th year of her religious life.
Sister Elizabeth entered the Congregation in 1950 from the parish of Our Lady of Lourdes, Brooklyn. She obtained a BS in Science from St. John’s University and an MAL,S (Masters of Leadership in Science) from Wesleyan University. She was then certified with a CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) from Central Islip Psychiatric Center and Hospital Chaplaincy Inc. She received the Pax Christi Metro Award in 2003.
Her ministries included: St. John the Evangelist, Brooklyn (1952-1956); St. Vincent de Paul, Brooklyn (1956-1957); St. Stanislaus Kostka, Brooklyn (1957-1962); Our Lady of Perpetual Help HS, Brooklyn (1962-1965); Bishop Kearney HS, Brooklyn (1965-1975);
St. Angela Hall Academy HS, Brooklyn (1975-1976): HOPE (House of Prayer) Convent Station (1976-1978); Sacred Heart Seminary, Hempstead (1978-1979); St. Pius X, Plainview (1979-1981); Abba House of Prayer, Albany (1981-1983); St. Joseph Convent, Brentwood (1983-1986); Sloan-Kettering Hospital, New York (1986-1987); Booth Memorial Medical Center, Flushing(1987-1989);Woodhull Medical Center, Brooklyn (1989-1991); Catherine Martin INN, Hempstead (1991-1992); My Childhood Center, Brooklyn (1992-1993); Family Center Catholic Charities, Astoria (1993-1999); Queens Women’s Network, Jamaica (2000-2013). She etired in 2013.
Her wake took place in Stella Maris Convent May 3rd, 2016. Her funeral Mass was held in St. Thomas More Church on the St. John’s University campus. She was later cremated.
Sister Joan Marie McAvoy, CSJ
Sister Joan Marie McAvoy, formerly Sister Maria Columba, a member of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph, died April 26, 2016 in St. Joseph Convent, Brentwood. Sister was in the 68th year of her religious life.
She entered the Congregation from the parish of Holy Child Jesus, Queens. She obtained a BS in Secondary Education from St. John’s University along with an MA in Mathematics and an MA in Religion from Fordham University. She served on numerous boards of trustees.
Her ministries included: St. Michael, Brooklyn (1950-1951); St. Mary Star of the Sea, Far Rockaway (1951-1955); Our Lady of Victory, Brooklyn (1955-1961); St. Brendan HS, Brooklyn (1961-1964, 1969-1971); Fontbonne Hall Academy HS, Brooklyn (1977-1978); Generalate of the Sisters of St. Joseph (Councillor), Brentwood (1978-1986); principal of St. Joseph HS, Brooklyn (1985-1990); principal of Bishop Kearney HS, Brooklyn (1990-2003); Vicar /Superior of Maria Regina Residence (2004-2006). She retired to Brentwood in 2013.
Her wake took place in Sacred Heart Chapel, Brentwood April 29-30, 2016. She was later cremated.
Sister Agnes Alphonse, CSJ
She entered the Congregation from St. Ephrem parish, Brooklyn in 1940. She obtained a BS degree followed by an MS degree in Mathematics from St. John’s College.
Her ministries included: St. Francis Xavier (1941-1942); Our Lady of Perpetual Help (1943); Immaculate Heart of Mary,(1943-1945); St. Anthony of Padua (1945-1947); St. Angela Hall Academy (1947-1950) all Brooklyn; Holy Child Jesus, Richmond Hill (1950-1952); Colegio San Conrado, Puerto Rico (1952-1955, 1956-1957); Academia San Jose, Puerto Rico (1955-1956); Our Lady of Lourdes, Brooklyn (1957-1960); Queen of All Saints. Brooklyn (1960-1963); The Mary Louis Academy, Jamaica (1963-1964); Bishop Kearney HS, Brooklyn (1964-1967); Principal of Blessed Sacrament, Brooklyn (1967-1970); St. Joseph HS, Brooklyn (1970-1974); Secretary to the nurses in Maria Regina Residence, Brentwood (1974-1996); Payroll in Maria Regina Residence, Brentwood (1996). She retired in 2013.
Her wake and Mass of Christian Burial took place in Maria Regina Chapel April 27-April 28 followed by her interment Calvary Cemetery, Brentwood.
Sister Catherine Hanlon, SC
Sister Catherine Hanlon (formerly Sister Catherine Eileen) died on April 25, 2016 at Mount Saint Vincent, Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts at the age of 93. She died on the 73rd Anniversary of her vows. Sister Catherine ministered at Seton Hall High School, Patchogue, from 1955-62 as a mathematics teacher and from 1968-71 as principal. She also taught at Saint Sebastian School, Woodside, (1943-55) and was principal of Bishop Reilly High School, Fresh Meadows, from 1962-68. In August 1971, Sister Catherine Hanlon moved to Massachusetts where she ministered in many leadership positions until her death.
Sister Catherine retired to Mount Saint Vincent , Wellesley, Massachusetts in 2006. Her funeral Mass took place on Thursday, April 28th in the Mount St. Vincent Wellesley Chapel. Sister Catherine was buried in Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Needham, Massachusetts.
Sister Julia Mary Murphy, OP
Sister Julia Murphy died on April 19, 2016. She was 86 years old and was member of the Amityville Dominican Congregation for 65 years.
The daughter of James and Mary Murphy, both born in Ireland, Johanna Cecilia was born on January 24, 1930 in New York. Johanna came in contact with the Dominican Sisters while living in Ascension Parish in Queens but came to know them well when she attended Bishop McDonnell Memorial High School, Brooklyn. She entered the Novitiate in Amityville on September 8, 1948, was invested with the habit and given the name Sister Julia Mary on August 5, 1949. After taking first vows on August 5, 1950, Sister Julia Mary received her first teaching assignment to the parish elementary school of All Saints, Brooklyn. She also taught in the parish elementary schools of St. Hugh of Lincoln, Huntington Station; Cure of Ars, Merrick; St. Agnes, Rockville Centre; and St. Catherine of Sienna, Franklin Square. In 1973, Sister Julia was assigned to teach secondary education at St. John the Baptist Diocesan High School in West Islip where she remained for many years.
In addition to her teaching, Sister Julia volunteered time during several summers as a counselor at a nursery camp for three and four year olds held at the time at La Salle Military Academy in Oakdale. When her health diminished, Sister limited her work to tutoring at St. John the Baptist before she fully retired in 2015.
Sister Julia is survived by her brother Jack Murphy and his wife Mary, her sisters-in-law Karen and Theresa, her extended family and the Dominican Sisters of Amityville.
Burial was in the Sisters’ cemetery in Amityville.
Sister Antoinette Marie Damato, OP (formerly Sister Mary Conrad, OP)
Sister Antoinette Damato died April 5, 2016. Sister was 88 years old and had dedicated 70 years to religious life as a Dominican Sister of Amityville.
Antoinette was born in Brooklyn, New York on July 21, 1927. On February 2, 1945, she was accepted as a candidate to the Dominican Congregation and on August 6, 1945, she received the Dominican habit and the name Sister Mary Conrad. She pronounced her religious vows one year later. After Vatican II, she returned to her baptismal name.
From 1946 to 1967, Sister’s ministry was in education. She taught elementary grades at St. Barbara’s, Brooklyn until 1955 when she began teach teaching high school at St. Agnes Academic High School, College Point. In 1966, Sister joined the faculty of St. John the Baptist High School in West Islip and in 1967 she was elected as Councilor to the Executive Board, a position she held until 1973.
In 1971, Sister moved to Incarnation Convent in Queens Village and, when her term of office ended in 1973, she taught religious education at St. Thomas Apostle in Woodhaven. From 1975 to 1981, Sister was Director of Religious Education at St. Hugh of Lincoln in Huntington Station. When she returned to secondary education in 1981 at Queen of the Rosary Academy, Amityville, Sister lived community at John XIII Hall. From 1985 to 1998 she ministered in Pastoral/Support Services at the Motherhouse in Amityville and lived at Our Lady of Lourdes Convent, Massapequa Park. In 2004, Sister returned to Amityville, first residing in St. Albert Hall and then in Carlin Hall.
Sister Mary Clare Kolczynski , OP
Baptized Mary Anne, she born in Philadelphia and spent her early years in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Rye, NY, before the family moved to Long Island. After her high school graduation, Mary Anne worked in real estate and for the Boy Scouts of America and Coca Cola. It was at Our Lady of Lourdes, Malverne, that she became acquainted with the Dominican Sisters.
She received the habit and was given the name Sister Mary Clare on August 4, 1943. On August 7, 1944, she pronounced first vows and was assigned to teach at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Lindenhurst. From 1955 to 1964, Sister was assigned to St. Ignatius Martyr in Long Beach and in 1964 she continued her teaching ministry at St. Kilian in Farmingdale. In 1965, Mary Clare moved to St. Fidelis, College Point where she taught until she retired in 2000. Failing health necessitated her move to Carlin Hall Infirmary community in 2015.
The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on Wednesday, April 27, with burial in the Sisters’ cemetery, Amityville.
Sister Maria del Rey Shevlin, IHM
She was born on June 2, 1931, in Brooklyn, NY, and given the name Anna (Nancy). She was the daughter of the late George L. and Ann Mahon Shevlin. She entered the IHM Congregation on September 8, 1950, and made her temporary profession of vows on August 2, 1953, and her final profession of vows on August 2, 1956.
Sister Maria del Rey served as a teacher in the following schools: St. John the Evangelist Elementary School in Silver Spring, MD, from 1953 to 1956; South Scranton Catholic High School in Scranton, PA, from 1956 to 1967; and St. Mary’s High School in Manhasset from 1967 to 1975.
Sister served as assistant principal at Bishop O’Hara High School in Dunmore, PA, from 1975 to 1981; and principal at St. Dominic High School in Oyster Bay from 1981 to 1984.
She also served as assistant coordinator for the Scranton Diocesan Synod in Scranton from 1984 to 1986; coordinator of the strategic planning program at Catholic Schools Office in Scranton in 1986; assistant director of apostolic planning at the IHM Center in Scranton from 1986 to 1998; director of missioning resources at the IHM Center in Scranton from 1998 to 2006; and coordinator of data retention at St. Joseph’s Center in Scranton from 2006 to 2009.
From 2009 until the time of her death, Sister Maria del Rey served as a prayer minister at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
Interment was at St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, PA.
Sister Mary Fritz, (formerly Sister Ancilla Maria) CSJ
Sister Mary Fritz, formerly Sister Ancilla Maria, died April 4, 2016 in Maria Regina Residence, Brentwood. Sister was in the 66th year of her religious life.
She entered the Congregation in 1950 from the parish of St. Joachim, Cedarhurst. She obtained a BA degree in History from St. John’s University, MA’s in Theology respectively from Providence College, Fordham University and the Seminary of the Immaculate Conception, Huntington. She authored the books Take Nothing for the Journey
(Paulist Press) and Dancing Before the Dark.
Her ministries included: Sacred Heart Seminary, Hempstead (1952-1961); Our Lady of the Snows, North Floral Park (1961-1963); St. Brendan’s HS, Brooklyn (1963-1964); Asst. Mistress of Novices, St. Joseph Novitiate, Brentwood (1964-1970); Coordinator of Pronto-St. Anne’s parish, Brentwood (1970-1974); Pastoral Minister/Spirituality-St.Patrick’s parish, Bayshore (1974-1984) Sabbatical-Cor Maria Retreat House, Sag Harbor (1984-1985); Director of Bethany House of Prayer, Brentwood (1985-2007). She then retired to Brentwood.
Sister Eva Sheehan, BVM, 98, died April 1, 2016, at Marian Hall in Dubuque, Iowa.
In the Diocese of Rockville Centre, Sister taught first grade at Our Lady of Loretto in Hempstead. She also taught elementary school in Dubuque, Iowa; Chicago and Maywood, Ill.; Casper, Wyo.; Wahiawa Oahu and Kauai, Hawaii; Rapid City, S.D.; Kansas City, Mo.; and Glendale, Calif.
She was born in Killarney, Ireland, on April 12, 1917, to Harry and Ellen Connor Sheehan. She entered the BVM congregation Sept. 8, 1937, from St. Paul Parish, San Francisco. She professed first vows on March 19, 1940, and final vows on Aug. 15, 1945.
Sister Patricia Clare Barry, (formerly Sister M. Francis Magdalen) OP
Sister Patricia Clare Barry died on Easter Monday morning, March 28, 2016. She was 84 years old and had devoted 64 years to her Dominican religious life.
Patricia was born in Brooklyn on May 27, 1931 to Patrick and Frieda Barry. She first came to know the Dominican Sisters of Amityville at St. Patrick Parish, Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn. She entered the Novitiate in Amityville on September 8, 1951. Patricia received her Dominican habit and the name Sister M. Francis Magdalen one year later. After the Second Vatican Council she returned to her baptismal name, Patricia.
For most of her life in Ministry Sister Pat, as she was known, was an educator. She taught in the parish schools of St. Frances Cabrini, Brooklyn; Holy Redeemer, Freeport; Our Lady of Lourdes, Malverne; Cure of Ars, Merrick; Corpus Christi, Woodside; St. Mary Star of the Sea in Brooklyn where she was asked to be principal for a year; Our Lady of Solace, Brooklyn; St. Boniface, Elmont; and, Sacred Heart, East Glendale.
She also served as the director of religious education in the parish of Notre Dame, New Hyde Park, and as pastoral service coordinator at St. Hugh of Lincoln Parish, Huntington Station.
In 1989 Sister Pat returned to classroom teaching at St. Frances Cabrini School in Brooklyn. After a medical leave in 1996, she returned to her educational ministry in 1997 as a resource staff member at Our Lady of Refuge school in Brooklyn, then was the librarian at St. Vincent Ferrer School, until she retired with the ministry of intercessory prayer.
Following a Mass of Christian Burial at St. Albert’s Chapel of the Motherhouse in Amityville, burial was in the Sisters’ cemetery there.
Sister Mary Cecilia Giannitti, CSJ
Sister entered the Congregation in 1944 from the parish of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Patchogue. She earned a BS in Music Education in New York University followed by certification in Gregorian Chant from the Gregorian Institute of America. She also earned an MA in Education from NYU followed by an MA in Administration/Leadership from St. John’s University. She conducted workshops; composed curriculum guides for music education in addition to presentations in different learning styles. She possessed outstanding creativity in music which resulted in such musical productions as the 100th Centennial Celebration for the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1956 and “The Enchanted Dart” which followed. She was a recognized creative talent in music among her peers.
Her ministries included: St. Angela Hall Academy HS, Brooklyn (1946-1949); Fontbonne Hall Academy HS, Brooklyn (1949-1960, 1960-1964); Brentwood College, Brentwood (1964-1966); Sisters of St. Joseph, Brentwood (1966-1970); Woodward School, Woodbury (1970-1972); Our Lady of Lourdes, West Islip (1972-1974); Fellowship at St. John’s University, Jamaica (1974-1977); Sacred Heart Seminary, Hempstead as Principal, (1977-1993); Professor at St. John’s University (1993-1997); Senior Enrichment in the Town of Hempstead Centers, Hempstead (1997-2009); she then retired in 2009.
Sister Marie Lucy Sullivan, CSJ
She entered the Congregation in 1948 from St. Genevieve parish in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Her higher education was extensive beginning with a BBA degree in Business from St. John’s University; an MS in Education from Hunter College, two MA’s in Spiritual Formation from Duquesne University and one in Theology from the Seminary of the Immaculate Conception. Her last credential was a Professional Diploma in Spiritual Direction from Fordham University. As a member of Spiritual Directors International she gave directed retreats, sacramental preparation programs for parents and children, evenings of recollection, retreat days and at-home retreats.
Her ministries included: Queen of All Saints (1950-1953); Holy Name (1953-1954); St. Francis Xavier (1954-1958); St. Mary, Mother of Jesus (1958-1962) all Brooklyn; St. Ann, Flushing (1962-1968); St. Pascal Baylon, St. Albans (1968-1969); Our Lady of Lourdes, Brooklyn (1969-1974) She served as principal of Our Lady of Lourdes for two years and then held administrative positions at St. Francis School for the Deaf (1974-1975); St. Joseph College (1976-1977) and Bishop Kearney HS (1977-1986), all in Brooklyn. In the Diocese of Rockville Centre she served as director of religious education at St. Mary’s Parish, Manhasset(1986-1997) and St. Aidan’s Parish, Williston Park (1998-1999); She ministered at Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, Point Lookout (1999) and did retreat work in various parishes. She also worked as an administrative Assistant to Bishop James Daly in 1999.
Her wake and Mass of Christian Burial were held in Sacred Heart Chapel, Brentwood, March 29-30 after which she was interred in Calvary Cemetery there.
Sister Philothea Larisch, OP
Born in Berlin, Germany on March 20, 1932, Anneliese was the daughter of Anton and Frieda Doring Larisch. Her mother died young and, with the father unable to care for the children, Anneliese and her siblings were raised in an orphanage run by Dominican sisters. During World War II, the children at the orphanage were forced by Hitler’s soldiers to dig ditches as part of the war effort.
Desiring to enter the Congregation, Anneliese immigrated to the United States in 1957. After her arrival, she spent some time living at Mary Immaculate Hospital and studying English. On September 6, 1958 she was admitted as a candidate and on August 5, 1959 she was invested in the habit and received her religious name, Philothea.
For almost three decades, Sister ministered as a nurse’s aide at Our Lady of Consolation, Amityville; St. Rose, Melville; Villa Maria, Water Mill; and Queen of the Rosary Motherhouse. She is remembered as an excellent aide, often going above and beyond what she was assigned to do. At one point in her years of ministry, Sister cared for the youngest children who boarded at St Joseph Mountain School in Monticello, NY.
For the past eight years, Sister was a patient at Maria Regina Residence in Brentwood and she was loved by all there.
The Mass of Christian was celebrated in St. Albert’s Chapel on March 21, followed by internment in the Sisters’ cemetery.
Sister Clare Ashe, SC
Sister Clare Ashe (formerly Sister Wilfred Mary) died on January 15, 2016 at Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia at the age of 85. She is survived by her sisters, Catherine O’Malley (Ottawa) and Pauline Fry (Halifax) and her brother, James (Ottawa). Sister Clare is also survived by many nieces, nephews, grand-nieces and grand-nephews
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 65 years, Sister Clare Ashe ministered at Saint Barnabas School, Bellmore, from 1960-63 as a Grade 5 teacher She also served in Bermuda, Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Nova Scotia.
Sister Clare retired to Caritas Residence, Halifax, Nova Scotia in 2008 where she remained until her death. Her Funeral Mass took place on Thursday, January 21st in Immaculate Conception Chapel at Caritas Residence, Halifax. Sister Clare was buried in Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Lower Sackville, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Sister Geraldine Manning, SC
Sister Geraldine Manning (formerly Sister Helen Richard) died on January 5, 2016 at Mount Saint Vincent, Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts at the age of 88. She is survived by her sisters, Helen McDonough and Virginia MacDonald.
A Sister of Charity (Halifax) for 65 years, Sister Geraldine Manning ministered at Saint Aidan School, Williston Park, from 1958-63 as a Grades 4, 5, and 7 teacher She also served in Staten Island, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, British Columbia, Alberta, Quebec, and Nova Scotia.
Sister Geraldine retired to Mount Saint Vincent, Wellesley Hills, in 2008 where she remained until her death. Her Funeral Mass took place on Friday, January 8th at Mount Saint Vincent, Wellesley, MA. Sister Geraldine was buried in Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Needham, MA.
Sister Catherine Ouellette, MMS
Medical Mission Sister Catherine Ouellette, M.M.S., 83, died October 26, 2015, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her Funeral Mass was held at her Community’s North American Headquarters’ Chapel in Philadelphia on November 3.
Born in Bayonne, New Jersey, Sister Catherine was raised on Long Island. She graduated from Queen of the Rosary Academy, Amityville, in 1950. After high school, she studied at the Benedictine Hospital School of Nursing in Kingston, and received her R.N. in 1953.
Sister Catherine entered the Medical Mission Sisters in Philadelphia in 1954. After her First Profession of Vows in 1956, she studied anesthesia at Nazareth Hospital in Philadelphia. Her first assignment, to Venezuela, followed.
In her 59 years of Religious Life, Sister Catherine worked in hospitals, health centers and parishes in Venezuela, Jordan, the United States and Peru. She also served in leadership for her worldwide community for five years.
After 27 years in Peru, her latest mission, Sister Catherine returned to Philadelphia in 2007 where she lived at her Community’s North American Headquarters until her death.
Sister M. Adrian Barrett, IHM
Sister M. Adrian Barrett, IHM, of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary died on Monday, October 12 2015, at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
Sister Adrian served locally as a teacher at St. Dominic High School in Oyster Bay, from 1968 to 1976 and at schools in Maryland and Pennsylvania.She then served at Scranton United Neighborhood Center, in Scranton, PA, from 1976 to 1986. In 1986 Sister Adrian founded the non-profit charitable organization Friends of the Poor, a sponsored ministry of the Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The mission of Friends of the Poor is to ease the burden of living in poverty and enhance the quality of life for all who live in low-to-moderate-income communities.
Sister Adrian was the subject of a PBS Documentary: Sister Adrian Barrett – Mother Teresa of Scranton. The film received three national awards. Governor Robert P. Casey appointed her to the PA Commission on Aging. She was the Chairperson for the Justice and Peace Commission, Diocesan Synod II and the first woman to be the grand marshal of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
In addition Sister Adrian was the recipient of numerous awards including, the “Christopher Spirit” Award, the Governor Robert P. Casey Medal for a Lifetime of Service, the Americanism Award from B’nai B’rith, and the Distinguished Honor Award from Scranton’s Martin Luther King Commission.
From 2009 until the time of her death, Sister Adrian served as a prayer minister at her family home in Dunmore and at Our Lady of Peace Residence.
She is preceded in death by three brothers, Jerome, Paul, and Gerard.
She is survived by a sister, Marie of Dunmore, PA; a sister-in-law, Katherine Barrett of Scranton, PA; a sister-in-law Barbara Barrett of Dunmore, PA; nieces and nephews; great-nieces and great-nephews; and great-grandnieces and great-grandnephews. She is also survived by the members of the IHM Congregation.
For older obituaries click here.