Sister Marianne Therese Boehm, SC
Sister Marianne Therese Boehm, a Sister of Charity-Halifax for 68 years, died on October 21, 2018 at Mount Saint Vincent, Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts, at the age of 89. Sister Marianne Therese is survived by her brother, John, as well as all her sisters in community.
Sister Marianne Therese taught from 1950-1960 at Saint Aidan School, Williston Park. She was a staff member of the House of Prayer, Wantagh, from 1973-1982. Sister Marianne Therese returned to live at Saint Aidan’s Convent from 1989-1990 while pursuing a CPE program. She lived in Bellerose and Brooklyn while ministering as a hospital chaplain at St. Clare Hospital, NYC, and as a spiritual director. She also ministered in New Jersey, Maryland and Massachusetts. Sister Marianne Therese Boehm retired to Mount Saint Vincent in Massachusetts in 2005.
Sister Marianne Therese’s funeral mass was celebrated on Thursday, October 25, 2018 in the Mount Saint Vincent chapel. Burial was in Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Needham, MA.
Anne Toomey, OP
( formerly Sister M. Imeldine)
Dominican Sister Anne Toomey died on Saturday, October 20. She was 93 years old and had been a member of the Congregation for 75 years.
Born August 10, 1925, Anne grew up in a large and loving family in Corona and Middle Village, both in Queens. At the age of 13, she enrolled in the Juniorate at Water Mill where she spent her high school years.
She entered the novitiate at Amityville on February 2, 1943, was clothed in the Dominican habit on August 4, 1943 and received her religious name, Sister M. Imeldine. After professing vows on August 7, 1944, she began her ministry in education.
She earned a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish and a Master of Science in Educational Psychology from St. John’s University. For the first 12 years of ministry, Anne taught elementary grades at Our Lady of Guadalupe and Holy Family in Brooklyn. In 1953 she was assigned to teach high school Spanish at the Juniorate which was housed at Annunciation, Brooklyn. She then taught at St. Agnes Cathedral High School in Rockville Centre; St. Michael’s High School, Brooklyn; Bishop McDonnell Annex at St. Bartholomew, Elmhurst; and Dominican Commercial, Jamaica. A transfer to Puerto Rico found her teaching at Holy Rosary, Yauco. When she returned to New York, she taught at All Saints High School, Brooklyn.
During the early 1970’s, Sister Anne began working in drug rehabilitation with the New York City Board of Education Drug Prevention Program. A second mission to Puerto Rico found her working with Sister Maureen Maeve (Mary Margaret Wainman) at Our Lady of Providence Dispensary in San Juan. There she was ministering among women of all ages who were drug addicted and often victims of domestic violence. That was followed by ministry in drug rehabilitation in the Bronx.
For some years Sister Anne lived and ministered in New England. During that time she studied nursing and worked as an aide in nursing homes. Returning to New York in 1993, she took up residence in the Sullivan County town of Forestburgh. She ministered at Trinity School in Port Jervis and at the Sullivan County Department of Correction before retiring in 2001.
Sister Anne was a gifted woman with a talent for writing. When she chose to move to the Motherhouse in Amityville, she began writing stories of Sisters’ lives in ministry.
Anne was predeceased by her parents and her siblings and is survived by many nieces and nephews and her beloved Dominican Community. Wake and funeral services were at the St. Albert’s chapel at the Motherhouse with burial in the Sisters’ cemetery there.
Sister Theresa Ann McElroy, IHM
(formerly Sister M. Louisa)
Sister Theresa Ann McElroy, IHM, (formerly known as Sister M. Louisa) of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary died on Saturday, October 6, 2018 at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She was born on July 31, 1931 in Providence, RI. She was the daughter of the late Raymond P. and Louise T. Miller McElroy. She entered the IHM Congregation on September 7, 1948 and made her temporary profession of vows on May 8, 1951 and her final profession of vows on August 2, 1954.
Sister Theresa served as a teacher at the following schools: St. Ephrem Elementary School, Brooklyn, from 1951 to 1952; Our Lady of Good Counsel Elementary School, Inwood, from 1952 to 1953; St. Mary Elementary School, Manhasset, from 1953 to 1961; St. Peter of Alcantara Elementary School, Port Washington, from 1961 to 1967; and Santisimo Nombre de Jesus Elementary School in Lima, Peru, from 1967 to 1975.
She also served as a pastoral minister at Santisimo Nombre de Jesus Parish in Lima, Peru, from 1975 to 1978; pastoral minister at Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish in New York, NY, from 1978 to 1982; youth ministry at Avila Center in Kelowna, BC, Canada, from 1982 to 1984; parish minister at St. Gertrude Parish in Far Rockaway, NY, from 1984 to 1985; director of religious education at St. Joseph’s Center in Scranton, PA, from 1985 to 1989; coordinator of tutors at Casa Hogar Juan Pablo II Lurin Lima, Peru, from 1989 to 1991; pastoral care at Marian Community Hospital in Carbondale, PA, from 1992 to 1997; community outreach at Marian Community Hospital in Carbondale, PA, from 1997 to 1999; and minister to the sick and elderly at St. John the Evangelist Parish in Silver Spring, MD, from 2000 to 2012.
From 2012 until the time of her death, Sister Theresa was a prayer minister at Our Lady of Peace Residence in Scranton.
She received a Bachelor of Science and a Master of Science degree in education from Marywood College.
She is preceded in death by three brothers, Raymond, James and Joseph; and two sisters, Katherine L. Buckley and Esther Lutz. She is survived by nieces and nephews and by the members of the IHM Congregation.
The funeral was held at Our Lady of Peace Residence with burial in St. Catherine’s Cemetery in Moscow, PA.